If you are passionate about fitness, health and wellness and want to prevent the health problems facing the population today, a Sports Science course could be the perfect next step for you. Earning this qualification could lead to a career as a personal trainer, sports therapist, nutritionist, and more. However, if you decide not to move in that direction once you graduate, this degree will also equip you with many transferable skills suitable for a variety of professions.
Let’s start by defining it first…
It is known as the science behind exercise and sport, specifically looking at how to improve performance and endurance while reducing the risk of injury. As an academic field, Sport Science also considers the role of sport in society, as well as its ethics and philosophy; what’s more; As an undergraduate subject, it also allows you to gain a deep understanding of the benefits of physical exercise while delving into the science behind sport and exercise.
What will you learn during the degree?
It is offered as a Bachelor of Science (BSc) for undergraduate degrees, and takes three to four years to complete depending on where you study. If you want to obtain a Master’s degree, you can study for one or two years, depending on whether it is full or part time; And, although the specific modules of the course will vary by university, there are many common themes that are explored within this title:
- Sports psychology
- data analytics
- Engine control
- motor learning
- sport and society
You will also have the choice of optional modules to help you develop specific interests within the field:
- sports entrepreneurship
- Injury Psychology
- performance analysis
- Disease prevention and health
- Group dynamic
- Occupational health
- Public health
Do you want to study a Bachelor of Sports Science in the USA? We share some universities to inspire you:
- Arizona State University
- temple university
- University of Cincinnati
- Troy University
- Universidad Simmons
What skills will you gain with a Sports Science degree?
It will provide you with in-depth specialist knowledge and valuable transferable skills that employers look for in graduates. Some are:
- Analysis capacity
- Problem resolution
- IT skills
- Time management
- Critical thinking
What are the entry requirements for a Sports Science degree?
As with any degree, the requirements will vary from university to university. However, there are some general admission criteria that you must follow for this course:
- At least two A levels (or equivalent) in a subject such as biology, chemistry, psychology or mathematics.
- SAT score of at least 1290 (US applicants)
- Proof of English language proficiency, for example an IELTS score of at least 6.0-6.5
- A personal statement demonstrating your suitability for the course.
If you wish to study Sports Science at postgraduate level you will need the following:
- A bachelor’s degree in a relevant field such as psychology, biology, sport or exercise.
- Some colleges will accept an overall grade of 2:2, while others will require at least a 2:1 grade.
- Proof of English language proficiency, for example an IELTS score of at least 6.5
- Demonstration of any relevant work experience , such as volunteering at a youth sports club or working at a leisure centre.
- In some cases, you are required to attend an interview as part of the graduate application process.
- Academic references from previous professors/mentors to increase your chances of being accepted
To explore more options, now read the following universities in Canada where you can earn master’s degrees in Sports Science:
- Universidad Wilfrid Laurier
- Lakehead University
- University of Alberta
- University of Ottawa
- University of New Brunswick
What can you do with a Sports Science degree?
- Personal trainer
- sports therapist
- physical education teacher
- Sports coach
- gym manager
- sports psychologist
With this qualification, you can also work in the private, public and non-profit sectors such as:
- Sport clubs
- Health and fitness clubs
- Recreation centers
- sports associations
In the UK, 64.3 per cent of Sport Science graduates find employment within the first 15 months after graduation. Another 11.5% choose to continue their studies and only 4.2% are unemployed (Graduate Prospects 2021) .
If you are considering an undergraduate degree in the UK , check out some of the institutions:
- Liverpool John Moores University
- Birmingham City University
- Staffordshire University
- Solent University
- University of Portsmouth